If you are an injured federal worker receiving OWCP benefits you need to understand that you are afforded the right to receive cost of living adjustments. These adjustments are based on changes to the Consumer Price Index for Wage Earners and Clerical Workers which is a program that produces monthly data on changes in the prices paid by consumers for a representative basket of goods and services. In short, this means that if the things that you need to buy are increasing in cost, then you are eligible for an increase in your benefits.

There are criteria that must be met in order to qualify for a cost of living adjustment and a representative from the DOL can help you, but one of the important things to know is that the beneficiary must be in receipt of benefits for more than one year prior to March 1. March 1 is the annual date when increases take place.

Questions about your OWCP benefits should be directed to the DOL, but you may also find answers from your Federal Workers’ Comp representative. Your representative should be able to help you calculate your potential increase and ensure that you are receiving the most up to date figures available.