According to, filing a workers compensation claim should follow a particular order.

Injured federal workers first need to notify their supervisor. Proper notification of a supervisor can help to initiate the process by ensuring that proper records are being kept as soon as the injury is sustained. This can help to establish early on the how, when, where, and what of the situation.

Next, injured workers need to visit a medical care provider. According to federal law, injured federal workers have the right to choose the provider of their choice and are not obligated to visit the medical care provider suggested by the employer.

After that, injured workers will need to report the injury using the DOC form CD-137, ““Report of Incident, Injury, Illness, Motor Vehicle Accident, Property Damage, or Fatality.” This form must be completed within 24 hours of the incident that led to the injury and a signed copy must be submitted by the supervisor to the Bureau Safety Manager/Coordinator within five working days.

Injured federal workers also need to ensure that they fill out the appropriate forms. (Click the link above for information about the CA-1 and the CA-2 forms.)

As an injured worker, the burden of legal proof fall on you. Additionally, you will need to communicate regularly and clearly with your employer to inform them of your status and to formally request leave from them.

According to the site, “If your physician releases you to return to light duty or to full duty, you should return to work. The Department of Labor will not authorize compensation for employees who refuse suitable work.”

Make sure you know what to do and that you are protected and provided for in the event of an injury on the job.